2. East side near the Falls - mounds with big trees growing in the center. Many graves have been unearthed and carted away the relics. All left and went to Kent on the Reservation, then to what is Redding, Pennsylvania with the Morovian Missionary.
Thursday, August 8, 2013
DIARY OF AN UNKNOWN ARCHAEOLOGIST
NEW MILFORD, CONN
Lover’s Leap Gorge
Still River – Housatonic
The Falls – home of Waramaug
1703 New Milford bought from the Indians
60 pounds in money, 20 pounds trade
1774 – No Indians
1703 about 300
2 burying grounds near the Falls
1. West Side of Town - Fort Hill
In 1680 the Indians from the lower part of the Housatonic migrated to Newtown and settled along the south side of the Potatuck River and the edge of the Shepaug River on the north side. As more lands were sold, the Pequannock either resided at their reservation on Golden Hill (Bridgeport) or moved inland joining the Pootatuck at Wesquantuck (Seymour) or Pomperaug (Southbury). After the death of their Sachem Konkapatana, the clan at the falls in Chusetown (Seymour) broke up with many moved farther inland to New Milford, Kent, or to the Six Nations in New York, eventually became extinct. The Paugaussett and the Pootatuck had signed many deeds of sale together. Both of these clans had lived along the shoreline before the arrival of the settlers and were one in descent. For many generations, they had kept their protective alliances and now were in agreement of the sale of their lands. From 1680 until 1705 Newtown and New Milford became the home of several hundred Indians. In 1684, the Indians in the Danbury area began selling their lands and moving westward to New Milford and Kent. Many had moved northward after Roger Ludlowe bought tracts of land in Fairfield and Norwalk. The Indians that did not moved northeast along the Housatonic moved northwest. Today the areas are now known as Woodbury, Southbury, Redding, and Danbury.
From the book Diary of an Unknown Archaeologist - Available at Amazon.com
Lover's Leap State Park - New Milford, CT